New Zealand has eight Universities which offer a wide range of academic courses and qualifications and 18 Polytechnics or Institutes of Technology.
School Leaver NZ gives a good overview of the different places you can study. Universities NZ has general information on all our universities. Auckland University, AUT and Massey University are all based in Auckland.
Click on the logo to access course information for the main universities:
Thinking of studying at university?
Polytechnics and Institutes of Technology
Looking for a more practical style of learning and smaller class sizes? Then you may like to consider a polytech or institute of technology. These can involve industry placements and are usually focused on an end job. You can study certificates and diplomas right through to a degree. Unitec and MIT are based in Auckland.
- Ara Institute of Canterbury (ARA)
- Bay of Plenty Polytechnic
- Eastern Institute of Technology (EIT)
- Manukau Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Nelson Marlborough Institute of Technology (NMIT)
- North Tec
- Otago Polytechnic
- Southern Institute of Technology
- Tai Poutini Polytechnic
- Open Polytechnic
- Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology
- Unitec Institute of Technology
- Universal College of Learning (UCOL)
- Waiariki Institute of Technology
- Waikato Institute of Technology (Wintec)
- Wellington Institute of Technology (WelTec)
- Western Institute of Technology at Taranaki (WITT)
- Whitireia Community Polytechnic